Old
02-10-2004, 09:33 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
what is he too old for?
he's too old to be a RFA - and comes with a $4.5mill contract (team/player options)...

there is no way the Canucks send Allen for a rental player. In a recent interview Burke even indicated that who they try and get needs to fit in long term, or if its a rental, they still need to think long term in who they give up... Nonis in an earlier interview talked about the team's willingness to overpay in futures in order to keep the key/core players around instead of using them as trade assets.

all this tells me that the team has no plans in dealing Allen, who's becoming a bigger part of this team every game... he's the #2 dman on the PK now, and is seeing more icetime as the season rolls on.

as for Lang - I doubt he's even on Burke's radar right now... his contract is pricy, and he's not a rental - meaning that he'll take up $5mill a year on the roster for 3 more seasons, while the canucks have to get new contracts for Morrison, Ohlund and Cloutier - and the Sedins are playing like they'll get a raise next season as well (they also have a few more RFAs after this year).... adding a long term $5 mill player doesn't make sense...

personally I wouldn't want to get Lang at all... if we add a top line center I hope we add a soon to be UFA like Zhamnov.

his value is probably going to be overrated too... hes' had a great season - about time!! but he's yet to play any significant number of games without Jagr this year too.... his contract though IMO will/should kill the value on him.

with Bondra - I'd rather add him on this team anyday... he's more of what we need and IMO a perfect fit for us... still he's a rental, and key guys like Allen can't be involved (unless we're getting Witt back as well ).

not sure there is a fit if Caps fans are expecting players like Allen coming back... good thing though that it isn't the fans making the calls, and like in every deal involving a high salary player, or a soon to be UFA, the return is usually a lot less than fans expect.