View Single Post
Old
02-10-2004, 01:31 PM
Al Alven

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Al Alven
I'll have the official, re-worked top 20 up by Monday (possibly Sunday).

It's really difficult, especially once you get past the top 5.

There are so many things to factor in (like talent and potential vs. experience and current level of play)... I just want to take a few days to sit down and take a look at a few different lists I've compiled.

But, I very much appreciate the lists that are being posted here. They go a long way in helping me get a sense for where these prospects stand in the eyes of the HF readers. Thank you.

The top 5 is set in stone, I think.

Right now it's"
1. Carter
2. Richards
3. Niittymaki
4. Sharp
5. Drozdetsky

The tentative 6-10 is:
6. Ruzicka
7. Ruggeri
8. Eager
9. Korovkin
10. Bruckler

Along with the re-rankings, I'm going to publish a short piece explaining the reason for each ranking. That way, should anyone have any violent objections to the way things turn out, at least there will be some rationalization right there.

I've found that the toughest thing about doing one of these listings is factoring in skaters with goaltenders. I can say that both Rejean Beauchemin and David Tremblay are indeed in the top 20 by virtue of the fine seasons they are currently having.

At the same time, there may be one or two players who have fallen off of the top 20 that may surprise a few people (how about Jussi Timonen and Konstantin Baranov). These are players who are either a.) having very poor seasons and have seen their stock drop, b.) were originally ranked higher than I felt they merited or c.) both.

At any rate, the reasons behind each ranking will be explained on Monday, in the form of a brief paragraph on each player to accompany the story.