View Single Post
Old
03-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
And again, this is why I feel he needs a lot of icetime. Maybe he never gets it, but if he does, it will be because he played a lot and learned what he needed to.

And honestly, playing time the ECHL doesn't help him there. Slower paced, less talented, he's more likely to fall back on his size rather than learn the game...the guy needs real, quality playing time. The Pack coaches need to make sure he keeps getting that, and not pidgeonhole him the minute he goes 2-3 games without scoring.

I guess I'm saying (and other people are saying) that this seems to be the kind of stuff he can learn if he keeps playing. He hasn't played a lot of hockey compared to some other guys, for a variety of reasons, so he needs to play now. Again, maybe it doesn't help and he never gets it, but low icetime will make sure he never gets it
I agree and i don't. It's a double edged sword, he needs the icetime but at the same you can't give it to him over other young players either. At some point, like he's doing now, you have to step and TAKE that time. Unfortunatly for Hugh he's often been outperformed by his contemporaries in situations like that including guys like Korpikoski, Moore, Dawes, Dubinsky, etc. The Rangers have a lot of young players and one of the drawbacks of that is that there is only so much time to go around. And with due respect to Hugh, if he can't beat out a guy like Callahan than that's on him.

The problem with Hugh in the past has been that if he wasn't scoring, he was a bit of a liability out there and there were kids who, rightfully so, deserved to be out there. But in the end I don't think any of that hurts him. If he's going to make it, he's going to have to beat out other players, including other young players.

I don't think the ECHL was bad for him at all, he was simply overmatched at the begining of the year at the aHL level and it doesn't do anyone any good to throw him out there over other younger players who are ready.

We have to be careful that we don't get so desperate to turn Hugh into a player because of where he was drafted that he we start handing him things over prospects who outperform him but weren't taken at such a spotlight position. Especially with his recent play I think Hugh knows what he has to do to stay in the lineup and beat out his competition, the rest is really up to him.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote