View Single Post
Old
02-10-2004, 03:52 PM
Malefic74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarOutCrops
Actually, over on the Avs board, many of us have been talking about how we might need another veteran defenseman for months now. I was just posting something today about how lucky we've been with our health on D. Of course, as soon as I posted that, I read about Blake.

The Avs don't have any youngsters on the farm who are ready to help out. Now they are going to have to use Brett Clark, who probably should never be in the NHL (correct me if I am wrong), at least not on a team looking to win the Cup. If it weren't creeping up on playoff time, I don't think this would be a big issue -- we got by without Forsberg and Kariya for quite a long time. The problem here is the timing, and the fact that the Avs, while stocked with talent, weren't very deep on D even before Blake got hurt. The dropoff from Liles, who is having a great rookie campaign, to Chris McAllister or Brett Clark, is pretty big by my estimation.
As you can tell I'm not a regular to the Avs board, so I didn't realize the depleted stock of the farm team. But judging from how little the Blues paid for Eric Weinrich (underrated IMO) the Avs could probably get a serviceable veteran like that for a similar price.

There is a month until the trade deadline I would say the Avs can afford to wait a week and get more accurate timetables on Blake's return.