View Single Post
Old
03-08-2007, 06:45 PM
DarthSather99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I agree and i don't. It's a double edged sword, he needs the icetime but at the same you can't give it to him over other young players either. At some point, like he's doing now, you have to step and TAKE that time. Unfortunatly for Hugh he's often been outperformed by his contemporaries in situations like that including guys like Korpikoski, Moore, Dawes, Dubinsky, etc. The Rangers have a lot of young players and one of the drawbacks of that is that there is only so much time to go around. And with due respect to Hugh, if he can't beat out a guy like Callahan than that's on him.

The problem with Hugh in the past has been that if he wasn't scoring, he was a bit of a liability out there and there were kids who, rightfully so, deserved to be out there. But in the end I don't think any of that hurts him. If he's going to make it, he's going to have to beat out other players, including other young players.

I don't think the ECHL was bad for him at all, he was simply overmatched at the begining of the year at the aHL level and it doesn't do anyone any good to throw him out there over other younger players who are ready.

We have to be careful that we don't get so desperate to turn Hugh into a player because of where he was drafted that he we start handing him things over prospects who outperform him but weren't taken at such a spotlight position. Especially with his recent play I think Hugh knows what he has to do to stay in the lineup and beat out his competition, the rest is really up to him.

Top draft picks always have and always will get more chances to shine than other players in every sport. Teams have alot invested in them and most top draft picks have the elite "skills" that enabled them to become the top picks they are. It's a matter of using those skills to produce at an elite level.

It's been said many times on these boards that Jessiman came out too early. He obviously had some set backs which reduced his playing time. Players need to play to enhace their skills. There's a balance you need to take in challanging a player but not overwhelming him so he loses confidence.

Hugh was obviously overmatched and lost confidence. He played few minutes because he wasn't able to earn them.

Pretty much the description of Hugh when he was drafted was that he'd be a project. He could be a bust but if he puts it together he'd be an elite unstoppable force. I don't get people getting upset because othe players in his draft class are NHL players. Hugh can still etch out a very good career.

No matter what happens the rest of the year he has shown improvement.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote