View Single Post
Old
03-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Quiet Robert

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I think your idea of a number one defenceman hasn't existed since Bobby Orr. What more do you want from him?
Agreed. There are a select few dmen (I can probably count them on one hand) who are close to being "flawless." After that you get guys who excel in some areas, and are weaker in others.

McCabe is one of those. And we don't need to rehash what he does well and what he doesn't but what he does well is a big asset for most teams. Again, he's got his flaws, and he's overpaid, but he's again in the top 10 in scoring; he's far from being a useless dman.

Quote:
Honestly, they shouldn't make professional athletes salaries available to the public.
That's sort of a debate for another topic, but it is interesting. Would we really have bashed Brisebois as much if we knew he wasn't making 4+ million? Would McCabe take as much heat? etc...Probably not.

It's probably not realistic at this point to stop divulging athletes' salaries, but I think it would go a long way to curbing some of the criticism we give them. Not that athletes should be immune from criticism, far from it, but often times it seems we criticize salary and not play itself for example. Or we use the salary as a basis for criticizing the player's personality.

Quote:
McCabe would immediately be the best defenceman on this club, upon arrival. How much does that sting knowing that?
That's laughable. Career wise, he's been better than Sheldon, but right now, he's Sheldon's equal.

But regardless, Markov is better, and more valuable, than both of them.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote