View Single Post
Old
05-01-2014, 01:29 AM
Norm MacDonald

vCash: 500
The problem with being an armchair GM is it's impossible to know essential information as an outsider. I would like trade for certain players, but I have no idea who is available and what their asking price is. So I'll just outline what kinds of moves the team should make and hope that Holmgren/Hextall will seize opportunities if they feel the same way.

- Lecavalier should be dumped. It might require the team retain some salary, but it's clear he doesn't fit on this team. I doubt the NMC will be a huge obstacle, since Vinny likely feels the same way.
- Grossmann should be traded. I don't think there will be as much difficulty getting him off the books.
- I'll assume Timonen's done. The Flyers should target a stopgap option for the next 1-2 years unless some other opportunity knocks. Hopefully Gostisbehere/Hagg/Morin can develop quickly, but it's premature to pencil them into next year's lineup. Ideal stopgap option is a decent puckmover and won't cost top prospects/picks to acquire (like a veteran or UFA).
- Let Emery walk if he doesn't agree to a pay cut. Sign a reliable journeyman as the #2 like Chad Johnson, Al Montoya or Thomas Greiss depending on who's available. It might be worth taking a look overseas.
- Add skill to the top 6. Even strength scoring was a problem all year, especially outside of the first line. If the Flyers want to take the next step, they need to drastically improve secondary scoring and take some pressure of Giroux. Lecavalier was supposed to be the answer, but the team needs to look elsewhere.
- Gauge the value of the Schenns. It wouldn't be the end of the world if they stay on, but they aren't playing like the second liner and shutdown defender they were supposed to become. Brayden could be effective on another teams scoring third/2B line with potential to become a second liner, but the Flyers need a center with better production given Couturier's checking role. Luke can still be fine on the bottom pairing, but he's not good enough on the PK to eat Timonen's minutes. Hopefully MacDonald can fit into that role next season, but I'd be more comfortable if the team acquires another legit PKer. Maybe that means freeing up Luke's roster spot. Whatever return the Schenns get could potentially fill another hole.

Norm MacDonald is online now   Reply With Quote