View Single Post
Old
05-01-2014, 09:51 AM
Coach Craig
Passion for coaching

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600bandit View Post
I coach a team of 5 and 6 year olds, 2 of them skate on there outside edge on there right foot, while going forward in a straight line, i'm sure they'll out grow it but any Ideas to help them out, it's there first and second year skating so some drills like gliding on one leg inside edges are a little hard for them to do, we've tried to explain to them to push with the inside edge but it's hard for them to understand, any help. thanks
I also coach this age group and have for 9 of the past 10 years. Do a couple drills to work on using all edges.

1. Have them line up on the blue line and skate hard, gliding around the bottom of the face off circle. Once for each edge - right inside, left inside, left outside, left inside.

2. another is a variation of the circles. Skating counter clockwise on the circle, using left foot to propel while right foot is gliding the left foot has to come behind the gliding foot and great effort is required to dig that blade into the ice and give a good push to keep momentum going.

Coach Craig is offline   Reply With Quote