View Single Post
Old
03-10-2007, 09:10 AM
EmptyNetter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy View Post
Most of the outrageous incidents in the movie really did happen as well -- going into the stands, getting arrested, the fear of the mills closing. The Hanson brothers were based on the Carlson brothers, two of whom played Hanson brothers. The third Hanson brother was played by Jets defenseman Dave "Killer" Hanson, who was switched from the character based upon he when Jack Carlson couldn't do the movie because he was playing with the Minnesota Fighting Saints of the WHA.
That's cool, especially since they wrote a separate character of Dave "Killer" Carlson, I assume, as a little inside joke. BTW, Versus aired the Miracle On Ice movie with Karl Malden a few weeks ago and I was surprised to see Jerry Houser (the actor who played Dave Carlson in Slapshot) in that, too. Wonder if he could really play or if they needed him to sell the MOI film to hockey fans.

As for the fear of the mills closing and the off-ice scenes I think those are the best parts of the film. The manager putting his players in a fashion show to make extra money, Reg trying to convince the female owner who hates hockey to sell the team plus deciding to "goon it up" to sell tickets to the few fans who can afford them paints a really stark picture of minor league hockey. The fact that it's (really) funny is just a bonus IMO. So yeah, Slapshot is best.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote