View Single Post
Old
05-02-2014, 07:45 AM
Boom Boom Anton

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Id be surprised to see him trade it straight up.

IF it were traded, most likely it would be for another pick in the top 10 + a piece that can help now (and longterm, therefore under contract for foreseeable future). That way Tallon would be improving now (while Luongo/Campbell are still good) but still adding to the longterm talent/depth.
No way I see that happening for a pick in the top 10. The #1 pick is usually a stud but once you get past the top 2-3 picks, it's crapshoot at best (and after #5 it's even worse).

Look at the #1 picks in the last 10 years:

Crosby, Ovi, EJ, Kane, Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, RNH, Yakupov, MacKinnon. Most (but not all) are franchise type players and some are tops in the NHL.

Now look at the #8 pick (for example) over that same timeframe: Alex Picard, Setoguchi, Peter Mueller, Zach Hamill, Mikkel Boedker, Glennie, Burmistrov, Couturier, Pouliot, Ristolainen. Some busts, some ok players and some solid players in this group.

Would you go from a chance at the top group to a chance at the 2nd group for just "someone that can help out now"? I wouldn't. The only way I see Tallon trading this is if he is swapping only within the first few picks..and even then I doubt it.

Boom Boom Anton is online now   Reply With Quote