View Single Post
Old
05-02-2014, 08:59 AM
416Leafer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
No way I see that happening for a pick in the top 10. The #1 pick is usually a stud but once you get past the top 2-3 picks, it's crapshoot at best (and after #5 it's even worse).

Look at the #1 picks in the last 10 years:

Crosby, Ovi, EJ, Kane, Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, RNH, Yakupov, MacKinnon. Most (but not all) are franchise type players and some are tops in the NHL.

Now look at the #8 pick (for example) over that same timeframe: Alex Picard, Setoguchi, Peter Mueller, Zach Hamill, Mikkel Boedker, Glennie, Burmistrov, Couturier, Pouliot, Ristolainen. Some busts, some ok players and some solid players in this group.

Would you go from a chance at the top group to a chance at the 2nd group for just "someone that can help out now"? I wouldn't. The only way I see Tallon trading this is if he is swapping only within the first few picks..and even then I doubt it.
I see this draft as more similar to the 2010-2012 drafts.

Hall/RNH/Yakupov vs Skinner/Burmistrov/Granlund, Scheifele/Couturier/Hamilton, and Dumba/Pouliot/Trouba (if looking at 7-9 range). Some pretty good names in those groups.

The gap between the top 3 and the 7-9 range isnt as obvious as the drafts that had Stamkos/Doughty/Pietrangelo, Tavares/Hedman/Duchene, etc in the top 3-4.

Nylander is the probably the most skilled Swedish forward since Backstrom, Ehlers is putting up arguably the best offensive numbers in the draft (looks like a late riser similar to Skinner, only he has a better rounded game then Skinner did when drafted), and then Virtanen/Ritchie are the best powerforward prospects in years.

People call this a "weak" draft, but to me it just looks like it lacks obvious elite talent at the top, but it definitely has depth, at least in the top 9-10.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote