View Single Post
Old
05-02-2014, 07:17 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
According to the poster, Renegade Stylings (who works in the business), posted saying the Rangers and LA Kings have a MAJOR interest in Nikita Scherbak.

He said this is in the prospects portion of HF in the "Rumors of teams liking certain players" thread.

Now I mean I'm taking this with a grain of salt, but if true what do you guys think?
I like him and don't think he gets nearly the respect he should. He's not as hyped or well rounded as some talents and he seems to be a kid who is lost in the shuffle a little bit. He's got a higher percentage of being a bust pick than some of the players in his range, but he also has a chance to be a guy that other teams wonder how they missed.

The pros - he's a kid who seems to want it. He's committed to playing in the NHL and he's hungry to learn. He engages the opposition and his offensive instincts are very, very good. He sees the ice very well, reads defenses well and did a very good job of using his linemates - not an easy task on a rebuilding team. He's got a good frame to grow into and he moves very smooth. It's not just speed or agility with him, it is fluidity.

The Cons - he needs to get stronger, especially if he is willing to engage other players physically. Physically, he reminds me of Anisimov at the same age. Both guys were below average in strength heading into their draft years. He needs to commit to his own end, he was not consistent in that area. I'd also like to see him bring it every night. He raised the bar for himself and now he has to raise his linemates to his level, not downshift to match them. That could be developed as his team improves around him. Still, I think he's going to be the kind of guy who needs energetic linemates to raise his game.

Overall he's right in the mix when we'd pick. Other guys have higher odds of being NHL players, or are closer to being NHL guys. But I think he's closer to the top end of the draft when it comes to natural talent.