View Single Post
Old
05-08-2014, 12:42 AM
Norm MacDonald

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
Hartnell's 29th in LW ES scoring with a ton of guys under him playing much less games. Most of them don't get to play with guys like Giroux and Voracek. He picks up a lot of ******** points on the powerplay too, he's easily the most useless guy on the 1st unit.

I just don't think Hartnell's a top line player anymore. We really need a scorer with Giroux, I can't see Hartnell sniffing 30 again the way he's played the last 2 years.

He'd be a great 2nd line guy or even 3rd liner if we want to put him with Couts, but not really a top liner.
You're looking at it the wrong way. Of course Hartnell can't carry an offense by himself, but he's useful as a complementary player similar to Knuble. You can get a more skilled player on the left side, but you also have to get someone that makes up for Giroux and Voracek's weaknesses and won't hamper their production with turnovers and wasted puck possession. There aren't that many players out there that fit the bill. We're not getting Lucic or Sharp.

In terms of even strength production, the whole team struggled this season. Hell, even Hart-nominee Giroux had an average year even strength. Of course, the early season struggles effected those stats, but being a one line team made it easy for opponents to focus their checking on Giroux. And like I said, the transition game was pretty terrible due in large part to the lack of effective puck movement from the defense.

Having said that, I'd still like the team to go after a legit 1st line winger. However, I believe that player should be a creative playmaker who can be a catalyst for the second line.

Norm MacDonald is online now   Reply With Quote