View Single Post
Old
03-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Chimp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
What answer would you like me to give? It relieves fan stress. It lets management know that the fans are unhappy with the product. It lets the players know they're playing poorly. And I'm willing to bend and say it tightens up the players, makes them nervous. But neither cheering nor booing has had a profound affect on this team one way or the other. If success was measured by the volume of our voices, I'm sure there'd have been more than 4 Cups in the Rangers rich 80 year history.
I can tell you what booing your own team does. It makes the players play even worse.

An athlete that performs poorly is perfectly aware of this fact all by himself (they are the first to know and admit it). He doesn't need his coach to tell him that, or his teammates, or his fans. It's better if the coach helps him play better, better if his teammates give him positive feedback and better if the fans show their support, especially when the team needs it the most, which is in bad situations. Here, the team receives the exact opposite, it's worse than playing away with at least the other teams fans hacking on you (but mostly supporting their own team).

It's doesn't require rocket science to figure out why Toronto and Rangers have a better away record than they have a home record (which they are quite alone with in the league). Both are known to have hardcore fans, which makes winning at home harder instead of easier.

Players like Malik and others who had bad stretches would probably have jumped out of it much faster if the fans wouldn't have tried to push him dow through the floor all the time. It's no secret Weekes almost never plays at home, since his own crowd seems to want him to fail (and hence also the team).

If Rangers fans are comfortable with watching their team lose at home and watch them win on TV instead, continue to boo and hack on them when they need the support.

How can it be worth more satisfaction to make your own players feel like **** and fail, than it is to watch them make a comeback and win?

If you was a player and was struggling, would you like your teammates and fans to tell you "Come on, we know you can do this, let's go!" or "Quit playing you bum, I hate you!"?

Last edited by Chimp: 03-14-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote