View Single Post
Old
05-13-2014, 05:07 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
Orpik, I just don't feel it. The guy will get a multi year deal (think 5 years) and he's not that good anyways. Slowed down a lot this year from the little bit I've seen.

With that being said, I'm also OK with Beaulieu and Tinordi getting bigger roles, but we need an insurance policy there. Not sure we go into next season with two rookie Ds playing full time and 3 rookies if one of the vet is injured. Having half your D corp composed of rookies is a recipe for disaster. And we don't want to have to deal a 2nd round pick at the deadline just to get a stopgap.

If we don't sign Vanek, go hard after a decent/solid #3/4 with size. I would be fine with a slight overpayment, because that will be the only way to improve the team, IMO. I know, a #3/4 is not easy to find, but with a healthy line up our D would be:

#3/4UFA - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Beaulieu/Tinordi

If we sign Vanek, then yeah less money left and the D is rather:

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
#6 UFA - Beaulieu/Tinordi (be open to bench #6 if both rookies play very well)

Which I'm still perfectly fine with. In both cases, we can correctly answer to injuries by promoting one of the bottom pairing guys and calling up Pateryn.

I know I'm a little bit conservative, but there's a real chance that both Tinordi and Beaulieu run out of gas or hit a major slump at some point. If it was just that, maybe you could still get out of it alive, but just add one injury in the top 4 and we're done. I know some of you would be fine with that as well, but there's no way Bergevin is. So forget it.
The best mix is to keep Markov and Weaver, that gives you 5 veterans with 2-3 youngsters(Beaulieu Tinordu Pateryn or Nygren)

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote