Thread: Beginners: Conflicting pro advice, help!
View Single Post
Old
05-15-2014, 09:18 AM
McDugan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcgreg View Post
Nothing they could do for him???? WTF???!!!

1) get a good fitting pair of skates. They don't need to be high end, just fit right. Even size 1 used would probably do since they likely won't have been skated in long and by a skater that can't wear them down too much. As long as they fit that is...

2) Try and find another LTP. That's a load of horse crap. A LTP and they can't do anything for him? What they hell are they there for? Seriously, that just pisses me off.

Anyway, if you're in a locale without other options, sorry to hear that. If there other options,.. exercise them.
I completely agree. Hopefully there is another program available in your area. This coach is... not a nice guy. "I can't help him" shouldn't be an option in a learn-to-play program for kids. If he's never skated before, that is what it is, but that's why he's there. If that's a problem, the rink should require (as some do) that he complete a basic skating course before doing LTP hockey. Or, maybe it'll take him more time to pick it up, but that's OK, and the kind of discouragement the coach is dishing out is unwarranted.

And ankle-strengthening exercises for an 8 year old who's not affected by disease or injury is ridiculous. Your son will certainly benefit from well-fitting skates, and a pair of inline skates, if you can swing buying both, would probably be the best benefit. There are skills to be learned on ice that won't transfer from inline, but at this point, getting comfortable on inlines will be a great boost to your son's confidence on ice.

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote