Thread: Player Discussion: Let's talk about Daniel Briere #48
View Single Post
Old
05-17-2014, 07:25 AM
Bryson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post
I am going to disagree with the bolded, not because I think Bergevin is a bad GM (I have been a fan since day 1) but because if you call him a genius for every move he makes that pans out, you can also call him a failure for every move that doesn't. I don't either is appropriate.

Bergevin has done a fantastic, fantastic job with this team, and yes the majority of his moves this season continue to pay dividends in the playoffs, but there have also been a few (Bouillon and Murray in particular) that haven't. And while Briere continues to be clutch in the playoffs, he also is being paid 4 mil and had 8 minutes of icetime on the 4th line. Again, that's not really a negative, and I would have paid Briere 4 million just for his 2 points in game 7 alone, but i can't imagine that's the only reason Bergevin brought him into the fold in Montreal.

I have been a strong advocate for evaluating Bergevin over a 5 year span in order to get a proper gauge on his tenure, and so far i think things are looking great. The Habs are a deeper organization in all areas than before he took the reigns, the players seem to respect and like him, and most importantly he has not sacrificed the team's future for short term success. The habs are winning right now with guys who should be on this team for years to come!

But I will stop raining on this parade. How freakin' good has that 4th line been???? To me, it started when Weise, Bournival and White played together in the regular season, and suddenly it became clear that the Habs had speed throughout the lineup. Since then our 4th line (and our 3rd D pairing) has been most effective when made up of guys who can outskate the other team's 4th line, and Briere, Weise and Prust did EXACTLY that last night.

There is no reason for those guys (and possibly White, Bournival or even Galchenyuk if he needs time to get back to game speed) to not keep it up against the Rangers.
Sorry for the late reply, have been so busy haven't even had time to post recently.

Why did we lose last year? Easy, lack of depth. Bergevin went out and got us a 40 goal scorer, Weise is playing like a 40 goal scorer, Weaver has been pivotal in solidifying our 3rd pairing and was out on the ice at the end of game 7, our 8 minute per game center has more points than our other 20 minute/game center. It could be very easy for Briere to just sit back and collect a paycheck after the way he was treated this year but he's been nothing but a consummate professional. All this without giving up any major assets or sacrificing the future of the team. I take these kinds of deals all day, every day!

Boullon and Murray are cheap depth signings that will be off the books next year. It's not Bergevin's fault that Bouillon was on the PP or on the first pairing along side Subban or that Murray was in the lineup on the road vs Boston when we had better options. That's on Therrien. MB has made enough moves that he can say this is his team instead of just one that he inherited from BG/PG and from what I've seen so far the habs are in good hands!

Bryson is online now   Reply With Quote