View Single Post
Old
05-19-2014, 10:43 PM
hockeyfreak7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
You have to work on your backhand a lot more. It's tougher to get a shot off. It's tougher to move the puck on the breakout.
You're not necessarily on your backhand a lot more. When you have space, you can open up on your forehand. When you don't have space, you have easy access to make plays using the wall on your forehand. That also applies on the breakout.

And it's actually easier to get a quality shot off because you're shooting from the middle of the ice.

I've always been annoyed when people pigeon hole righties to the RW and lefties to the LW (eg, Adam Oates). That's not how it works. You don't have to be any more or less skilled to play one or the other. It just has to do with your particular skill set. With a guy like Voracek who thrives on puck protection, using his body, and using power moves to get the middle of the ice, the off wing is good. For a guy like Simmonds who really isn't particularly gifted in terms of pure skill, I truly don't believe his wing will make a difference.

And honestly, that may not even be true. His skill is driving the net. It's easier to drive the net and protect the puck from the off wing. If anything, my guess would be that it helps more than it hurts.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote