View Single Post
Old
02-12-2004, 10:52 PM
SmokeyClause

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueliner
though my primary allegiance is with the devils, i must confess to being somewhat of a closet preds fan and have enjoyed following the worthwhile comments on this board for a while without making any contributions...

anyway, i've wondered about schnabel, he's always looked like being limited to 3rd pairing duties, and in some ways he's done well to earn himself a gig in the bigs since being drafted as a project, but he was earning more positive reviews for his play earlier this season, (around the time kloucek was dealt?)...

how has schnabel's play regressed since then?...what's he doing differently now?

when on top of his game does he use his size effectively?...he's an imposing specimen but is he a banger?...or more likely to just shovel guys outta the crease?

The problem with Schnabel in my mind is that previously, he was hitting, playing respectable defense and clearing the crease. He'll never be a good skater or make even decent outlet passes, but that's not his role. His job is to be the guy who keeps big guys away from Vokoun. He is the guy that punishes forwards along the boards. Recently, he hasn't been what we asked AND he hasn't been incredibly smart with the puck. He hasn't been boneheaded, but with someone of such limited talent/skills, he has to do the things he does really well to negate what he can't do (if that makes sense). Lately, he just hasn't been able to do that.