View Single Post
Old
02-12-2004, 11:13 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
The problem with Schnabel in my mind is that previously, he was hitting, playing respectable defense and clearing the crease. He'll never be a good skater or make even decent outlet passes, but that's not his role. His job is to be the guy who keeps big guys away from Vokoun. He is the guy that punishes forwards along the boards. Recently, he hasn't been what we asked AND he hasn't been incredibly smart with the puck. He hasn't been boneheaded, but with someone of such limited talent/skills, he has to do the things he does really well to negate what he can't do (if that makes sense). Lately, he just hasn't been able to do that.

i agree with all of that. a good example of what we want schnabel to do is karlis skrastins. skratch wasn't very good in terms of puckhandling\passing....but he was smart defensively, and was able to keep the slot clear\read the play to break it up. schnabel is perhaps even worse offensively...but lately...hasn't been good defensively, either. i really don't know what his future is, but if neckar comes back anytime soon...i'd say schnabel will be the one to go.