View Single Post
Old
03-18-2007, 02:25 PM
xander

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
As much as some of you want Montoya to play for us, it's not going to happen. Lundqvist is the most valuable player on this team right now and he's going nowhere fast. I also can't see him losing his confidence anytime soon too. This guy is a competitor and I think he IS this teams future. Sure, give Montoya the backup duties, but in all honesty I don't think he will ever eclipse Lundqvist. Just my opinion

By the way, I think Rangers history means squat right now. The Richter thing was probably just a coincidence. And even so, I see Lundqvist surpassing his achievements before his career ends anyhow. I know that's a pretty bold statement, but I stand behind it
It's not a matter of 'wanting' either Montoya or Lundqvist to win out. I could care less who wins, only that the best goalie is here for the long haul. Assuming that 'there's no way' that it could be Montoyya is a bit shortsighted. Why can't it be? As I said, he's matched Lundqvist at every stage of his career. That doesn't meen he'll be as good as Henrik at the NHL level, but it's a possibility that shouldn't be ruled out.

Right now there just isn't much to be gained by not giving Montoya the chance. Yes, you chould move him, but if you move him now your either doing so for a substandard return, or you are going to have to include more asstes along with Montoya to get the return you want. Let him come up and prove himself, give him the chance to puch Lundqvist. If Henrik is as good as we think he is then he'll be able to keep his spot, if he's not...well then we'll all be very glad that we have Montoya.

Right now the smart money is on Lundqvist being between the pipes for the next 10 years. But there is very little to lose by giving Al a chance, but there is alot to be squandered by moving him now for no reason.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote