View Single Post
Old
03-19-2007, 02:08 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
I disagree with those that flat out dismiss Holt's chances of making the NHL. I don't foresee him being a starter, but there's a chance that he could be a backup. The challenge will be timing and how he progresses.

At this stage he is 5th on the depth chart of Rangers goalies. Two of those goalies will be UFAs this Summer, and depending on who the Rangers get, Holt may move up to be #4 in the organization next season.

He would then likely need an injury (or a drop in form of another goalie plus improvement in his form) for him to become the starter in Hartford.

In terms of his NHL prospects, I would think you're probably looking at 2 years minimum and possibly three years before he'd get a serious chance as a backup if he manages to provide the form that would warrant such a look.
Yep, people wrote off LaBarbera too because he wasn't "consistant" enough to even stay in the AHL his first several years as a professional. Then he got the opportunity to prove everyone wrong when Blackburn was unable to play in Hartford due that freak injury and turned himself into a player with an NHL contract (please remember everyone that Larbarbera is only playing in the AHL because the Kings are unwilling to lose him on reentry waivers).

Either way, it's too early to give up on Holt.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote