View Single Post
Old
05-30-2014, 01:51 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gillman View Post
Certainly true, however the old Norman presence is important in my view to the appearance of the word hockie in this area - that is what connects its use in England (albeit only recorded later).

I wonder if cambucam is Latinised Gaelic so to speak, i.e., not Latin or French, since it sounds like cambogie a lot, the women's field game still played in Ireland, and that term has a Gaelic origin I believe.

By isolated I was referring really to the term as used in that Timeline from 2010. It is isolated in a purely temporal sense to be sure but I think the long lapse of time between recorded appearances is not relevant to its history ultimately.

Gary
Which is interesting, because depending on how much further back than 1838 we go, we start getting into the era of colonization which brought tens of thousands of Gaelic people to Nova Scotia and PEI. Maybe it's not of little note that the most common language of our founding fathers was Gaelic, and that Pictou is where the Gaelic immigrants would have landed/settled on the mainland at least as early as 1770. What could have been a fairly established activity among a persecuted population (hence a period of time that seems light in remaining details back "home") may have been allowed to develop/flourish and gain popularity/structure unimpeded over here.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 05-30-2014 at 02:01 AM.
Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote