View Single Post
Old
03-21-2007, 07:35 PM
John Torturella

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
I was wondering what everyone thinks about a talent comparison between Manny Malhotra and Brandon Dubinsky.
As much as I hate to admit it, as I never disliked a coach more than I disliked John Muckler, he was right-on in his accessment of Malhotra as eventually being a 3rd liner. In a between periods interview when the Jackets were in MSG a few weeks ago, Manny was asked about his game and he said that he was primarily a defensive center who used his size, strength and forechecking ability against the other teams top centers and he liked to be on the ice in the last few minutes with the game on the line.
I remember the buzz around Manny when he was picked at #7 in 1998: he had all the intangibles (intelligence, leadership ability) and physical attributes to be a mainstay of the team for years. There seemed to be few doubters about Manny. While he never was a big scorer in junior, it was hoped he would develop a scoring touch. Did the Rangers misuse him or has he become the player he was meant to be? He made the team in 98 after a good camp and because the Rangers were so thin at center. Over the next few years he seemed to be with the Rangers when he should have been in the AHL and at other times was with Hartford when he should have been with the big club, the poster child for Ranger misuse of youth. Overall however, his career has been a disappointment for someone drafted so high.

Dubinsky and Malhotra are about the same size. While Brandon scored more in junior than Malhotra did, he never put up really big numbers (78, 59, 67 points in his last three years in the WHL vs. 51 and 44 pts for Manny in his two years in the OHL). Manny seemed to be more of a power skater than Brandon is. Brandon seems to have more on ice awareness than Manny did.

So, what will Brandon's career track be? Does he have the offensive skills and talents to be a #2 center? I thought Manny did, but it never happened. Will Brandon end up a #3 center? I have not made up my mind yet, but I think the comparison between the 2 is worth talking about.
I dont remember much about Malhotra but Dubincky and Manny are completely different players from what I remember. I thought Malhotra just had speed and that was all. But I dont really remember him that well

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote