View Single Post
06-02-2014, 12:00 PM
vCash: 500
I don't know how I feel about Schenn. What I was expecting and what we have now are two very different players. When the trade was made (and I'll disregard the stupid "best player not in the NHL" tag), Schenn was billed as a physical two way center, much like Mike Richards. An anchor to build your lineup around. He hasn't shown any of that, unfortunately. To me, he's been inconsistent at best defensively, he's been a very poor possession player, and has just generally not looked like the kind of player you want to build around. He hasn't really even shown flashes of it.

Having said that - he still put up 20 goals this season, at age 22, with poor line mates for the most part. I think he does have some talent - just not the kind we thought he would. With Laughton coming up, Schenn is going to have to make the switch to LW with G and Jake. Or even RW with Couts and Read. Basically anywhere but where he is now.

If we can build around G/Couts/Laughton down the middle, and move Schenn to the wing, I'll still be very happy with the M. Richards trade. Even if he weren't on the decline, if Laughton can be a two-way guy, and Couts can start potting some more goals, I'd be happy. I'm trying to tell myself that just because Schenn isn't the type of player that I though we were getting, and the type of player I typically gush over, doesn't mean he isn't a valuable piece. And we need a winger anyway, so what the hell.