View Single Post
Old
03-22-2007, 02:23 PM
JRGNYR

vCash: 500
I don't think I've ever been fully in the "Fire Renney" camp but I have taken issue with his personnel decisions over the course of the year. A couple of things, though...

1. The emergence of Marcel Hossa before he got hurt was all Renney. I think about 99% of us on this board are eating crow over this. I just hope he gets back to 100% and can play his game again when he's healthy.

2. The emergence of Ryan Callahan softens the Nigel Dawes argument a bit. Who is to say that if Callahan were Dawes earlier this season and not given a chance, and then Dawes was the one who came up a week ago, that we would not be all having a Nigel Dawes man crush right now? I still think Dawes has a future on this team.

3. The team has played its best hockey this season in the face of adversity. Players go down, and the team hunkers down and actually plays better? Then you have guys like Dan Girardi and Ryan Callahan come up from Hartford during the season and suddenly play like they belong. When was the last time we saw that in this franchise?

I'm not going to let Renney off the hook on misusing certain players, and this team still has needs (#1 d-man, for starters)... but I think in terms of the big picture, we're starting to see a lot of positives with this team, things that might not necessarily pay off in this year's postseason if they get there, but maybe 2-3 years down the line.

JRGNYR is offline   Reply With Quote