View Single Post
Old
06-07-2014, 12:45 AM
Sawdalite
SelectLouNolan4PFHoF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Compliance buyout is a complete amnesty...if a player retires after being bought out normally I have no idea if anybody gets dinged. I assume not, because the contract ends; I think there is only a penalty if the player retires before the contract ends, in that case, any team that had benefit gets dinged.

We aren't on the hook for Richards at all, his contract started after he was traded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
You're thinking of Carter's.

Richards's started earlier (2008-09). But we only had 650k in "cap savings" banked at the time of the trade. In fact, we actually had a couple years of anti-cap savings when his salary was less than his cap hit. I'm pretty sure we don't get credit for that, though.

So if Richards were to retire out of his contract, we'd only be on the hook for 650k divided by the number of years remaining on the deal. So it's a negligible amount.

Should be moot, though. I just see no way he doesn't get amnestied.

EDIT: CBA says we do get credit for those years. So, in fact, our aggregate cap advantage amount is only 150k. So even less negligible.

EDIT #2: Apparently the mere fact that Richards's contract was traded before the CBA was enacted negates us from any penalty at all. So now it's truly negligible!
Thanks, guys... it all made sense.