View Single Post
06-13-2014, 12:53 AM
Joey Bones
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Jacques Strap View Post
From RLR:

Left wing Justin Kirkland, Kelowna. He's a huge, gangly (6-3, 190) winger who early on had the big frame, but was all arms and legs, lacked a bit of coordination and was not yet the sum of his parts. He was also brought along slowly on a deep, powerhouse Kelowna club, seeing only third-line ice time and no power-play duty. But in the season's second half, he began to put things together and forced the Rockets to increase his quality minutes, becoming a key contributor in their deep playoff run. His wide body and physicality down low gave linemates more room to maneuver, and he stood up for teammates regularly, making everyone braver.

He also started to show that he has soft hands for a big man-child, and can really snap home rebounds and shots around the slot. Already quite a good skater who is light on his edges despite thin legs, we think his skating will be outstanding in a couple of years once he fills out that great frame and acquires some lower-body strength.

Unless we trade up, we'll be picking at the end of the 2nd round, This kid might be a good pick there.
Seems good to me, but trading up a few spots to snag a guy of his caliber might not be too satisfying IMO. We could try for a guy like Clark Bishop who is a north/south, all heart and soul guy who can be picked probably 5th round. Off the top of my head, I think Trevor Lewis is a good NHL comparison, but I could be wrong.

Originally Posted by Anthony Mauro View Post
Justin Kirkland would be a very nice start to the draft for the NYR. Final Ranked #54 at DraftBuzz. Huge upside, has had good mentorship at Kelowna. Echoing Redline, his Draft Board quick comment is: Lanky, big guy w/ smooth gears still doesn't even know himself.

Since Joey Bones asked, some projected 2nd-4th rounders who impressed in combine events NHL execs take seriously are:

Dylan Sadowy
Michael Bunting
Blake Siebenaler
Alex Peters
Luc Snuggerud
Connor Chatham
Shane Gersich
Warren Foegele
Yes to the bolded. Thanks for responding. Sadowy surprised me the most. Pretty much scored top 5 in almost every test. Made me a fan after that showing.