View Single Post
Old
06-15-2014, 10:18 PM
Cake or Death

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Sometimes I think that posters here don't want to **** on bad officiating because they know that posters for other teams are going to **** all over them and they're afraid of being categorized as non-objective homers.

NHL officiating could be a hell of a lot better than it is. I'll discard the idea that referees have it in particularly for any team but even so they **** up a lot. The notion that things always even out in the end is asinine. Timing can mean a lot. Timing can mean everything. Getting screwed in game 45 of the regular season is a hell of a lot different than being screwed in game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals and all the proof I need for that assertion is the Brett Hull goal that won Dallas their only Stanley Cup which by the rules of that time and the way the game was being called all the time should not have counted.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't really care what other fans think. As a hockey player who was taught to shake hands and leave it on the ice, as a fan who has watched teams do that for decades, I just find the excuses embarrassing and seeming to give little credit to our opponents. I am a huge hockey history buff. I recall the famous photo of Jim Henry shaking hands with Maurice Richard. Henry took a shot in the face the prior game that broke his nose and blackened his eyes. He returned and finished the game. Richard in the next game, game 7, suffered a concussion early in the game. He came back in the third period and scored the game series winning goal, bloodied and bandaged. These two warriors shook hands, respectfully, and left it on the ice.

We are an original six franchise. Part of our history is tied into that photo, our own playoff history part of that same tradition. This season, our NYR played their ***** off in the Final. Proud of them. But LA played their ***** off, too. We did not lose to bad calls; we had calls our way, too. LA executed a little better when it mattered. Hats off to them.

Our team battled hard, had an amazing season, and we came up a little short to a great hockey team. There is no shame in that, no need to try to vindicate it, no need to create conspiracy ref threads on the main boards. Be proud of your team's play, but respect your opponent's as well, and leave the nonsense on the ice. That is how an original six team, and its fans, should carry itself, at least in my humble opinion.

Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote