View Single Post
Old
06-16-2014, 03:24 PM
Choice

vCash: 500
Trade proposal: Staal for Skinner

Anyone think that either the Rangers or Hurricanes would be interested in a Marc Staal for Jeff Skinner deal?

I have a feeling the Canes would be interested in uniting all the Staal brothers. Certainly couldn't hurt their marketing down there.

The risk for the Rangers is taking on Skinner's cap hit, which I believe is over $5.5mm for the next four years or so. The guy's offensive upside is high. The Rangers still need some scoring help. He is a tremendous skater, so would fit very well in the AV system. The downside risk is his injury history. Not the biggest or strongest guy and I believe he has had concussion issues. That's dangerous with his contract.

It would hurt to lose Staal, but he may leave as an FA anyway and you have to believe he is very interested in Carolina as a destination. Could only do this if Stralman or another FA D is signed.

As for the Canes, they would probably want to be able to sign Staal to an extension if they make this trade. But I could see them wanting to get out from under Skinner's deal while solidifying their D, not to mentioned uniting the Staal family.