Thread: Eddie Giacomin
View Single Post
Old
03-26-2007, 07:38 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyisles View Post
Not sure if anyone on these boards is old enough to have seen Eddie Giacomin play but I watched a biography special about him on MSG Network that was very interesting. I had the pleasure of meeting him early in his career (not sure what year but my son was an infant so it must have been in the late 60's). I grew up a Redwings fan in the late 40's and 50's but after meeting Giacomin I found myself rooting for the Rangers against the Bruins in the finals in 1972 (I think that was the year). I was at the game against the Wings after he was traded and it was unlike any sporting event I've ever been to. There really wasn't a dry eye in the building. It might as well have been a Red Wings home game as the entire crowd was behind Eddie the whole game. Anyway, if you remember him playing you should really try to watch this show. And even if you're too young it might be something that you would find interesting.
The best part was us fans booing when the NYRs scored against him. I think the scored ended up 9-5. It was a very unique moment and I was happy to be a part as an attendee. If I look around I'm sure I could find my season ticket stub from that game. Anyone who was there knew immediately it was a ticket stub you would save.
The tale is even better when you consider that NYR fans throw all sorts of garbage at Giacomin during a game for letting in some really poor goals. He had to hide inside the goal to avoided getting pelted. He was awful. But, and A-hole, I mean A-rod should take note and learn a lesson, Giacomin broke his hump and worked to gain the fans respect and undying loyality. He didn't hold a news conference and do a self serving article in a rag. He shut up and played and produced. He was an excellent goalie.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote