View Single Post
Old
06-17-2014, 08:20 PM
Mikos87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
What Hartford is going to need are a few AHL vets (some NHL experience helps) who can help stabilize the team and acclimatize young players turning pro. Beacon mentioned Newbury--who has been around a while--has never seriously secured an NHL spot but who is a good and productive AHL player. Guys like that are good to have around. You're not just throwing a bunch of first and second year pros on the ice and saying--'Go win!'--which wouldn't be very likely to happen. Best to have your good prospects in a winning environment and guys like Newbury help to create that. Last year a major, major problem in Hartford was crap goaltending. After Talbot became a Ranger--Missiaen, Stajcer, Malcolm all got shots in goal and the team went down the tubes. They waited way too long deciding on these guys. If Grumet-Morris and/or LeNeveu had been brought in a month earlier Hartford probably makes the playoffs. The team became much, much better with competent goaltending.
Newbury would be a great pickup. I think of him as the AHL Mark Messier from the way he plays and what he brings to a team. I'd like to watch HFD become a winning environment. It really helps with developing kids too by getting them used to winning. The Monarchs haven't won championships but they field competitive teams, I think it goes a long way in developing their talent. The top two D from Manchester last year probably won't become top 6 NHLers but they were unbelievably good for them. Having players like that in HFD, a legit AHL top center, and goalie will go a long way in conditioning prospects to fit in seamlessly.

It's great fan service too, I know a lot of us watched some really crappy hockey down in HFD last year, and I'd like to see that changed.