View Single Post
Old
06-18-2014, 09:31 PM
hockeyfreak7

vCash: 500
If Doughty/Voynov didn't do it this year, McDonagh would have done it for NYR. And Letang was off by 7 seconds per game in 2009. Meszaros (lol) made it to the SCF as a top four guy in Ottawa in 2007.

I appreciate what you're saying, but I think it's more of a statistical oddity than a hard and fast rule. Having a young defender in the lineup contributing in a core role does not preclude you from making a run. For example, Dougie Hamilton has five years until he's 25. Does this mean Boston can't win a Cup for another five years? Is Cam Fowler stopping Anaheim from winning a Cup? Olli Maatta in Pittsburgh?

Basically, I think it's perfectly okay to have a youngster in a core role. The only lesson to be gleaned from this analysis (and it's a very good one) is not to rely on too many youngsters at a given time.

But I don't see us having that problem. I think the only player who will be contributing in a core role any time soon is Ghost. Morin still has a long way to go, and I don't see Hagg as being more than a steady bottom pairing guy (imo). Ghost very well could be be a core player within the next two or three years.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote