Thread: bobby clarke...
View Single Post
Old
02-15-2004, 02:33 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD
I have become a cynic. Looking good in the regular season has never been our problem. In the crunch, we find a way to collapse.

Right now, we are devoid of anybody I would call a play-off hero. In fact, our players are known for overwhelmingly bombing in the post season. JR, Primeau, Burke, Amonte, LeClair even Rico (last 5+ years) have tanked it in the post-season. IMO, we are no better than the 3rd or 4th best team in the East. Add in several Western teams and I don't like our chances at the Cup. Our best days are behind us.

Earlier this year, I said rebuild. I agree with what Snyder said last year completely" If we can't win with Hitchcock, we can't win at all. We didn't win. IMO, our best shot at the Cup will be in the post-CBA era with a team built around Gagne and Pitkanen. I wanted Williams to be the captain of that team, but that can't happen now.

Any amount of cynicism directed at this organization is totally understood. I don't think many expected to win in our first year with Hitch though. For a lot of these players it was like learning to skate again. We could bomb in the playoffs again but I prefer to stay optimistic even after all the heartbreak. What worries me though, is that you know your stuff...and you could very well be right. Please end regular season so we can see.