View Single Post
Old
06-24-2014, 07:56 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
I don't completely understand the Corsi ratings, so maybe this is improper for me to say, but I don't know about judging players solely based on new stats. Am I supposed to think Stralman is better than Staal because of a stat I don't understand? If someone can explain it to me, maybe. I know it's based on puck possession. I could probably google it and read about it, but just from watching them play, I think Staal is better than Stralman. Staal has elite reach, he always looks like he's gonna get beat on a play but then his stick makes a play somehow. The guy is a legitimate top pairing defenseman. Stralman has been excellent with us, a rock back there. But we just picked him up off waivers and he's had 1 excellent season and 1 good one. I don't know, perhaps the new stats are indicative of him being better than Staal, but like I say with the baseball statistics, it doesn't tell the entire story.

What's the famous quote? Statistics are like bikinis, they show a lot, but not everything.
Stralman is quite good at moving the puck once he gets it, for the most part. However I think his stats aren't really telling the whole story either, he has his flaws and IMO doesn't realllly move the puck as well as you'd expect for a guy who is such a fancy stats darling. I get the feeling something is going on that isn't readily apparent just by stats watching. He probably should be re-signed but if some team signs him to be a top pairing guy they're going to be disappointed IMO. The role he's playing with the Rangers is about perfect for him.

Also, I suspect Staal is getting some **** because ******* he was injured for like 2 years running and always in the process of trying to come back from a major injury and now might not ever get to that point, but back before that he was also a fancy stats darling.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote