View Single Post
Old
02-16-2004, 12:26 AM
Estimated_Prophet

vCash: 500
Once again a poster has turned a vague statement into justification for their ridiculous anti Koivu arguement.

This crap that Koivu is too small to center the #1 line of a championship team is a joke. Jacques Lemaire was only 1 inch taller and actually weighed a little less than Koivu and he certainly didn't get in the way of the Hab's Stanley Cup drives.

I beleive Gainey is concerned about our size up the middle but I think he is most concerned about Juneau as Gainey stated in the off season that he wanted to move Kilger back to center and he would compete for the 3rd line center job. Obviously Kilger didn't perform up to expectations and we are stuck with Juneau playing 3rd line center.

The funny part of mooch's post is that he assumed Julien was referring to Koivu as we need a big center playing on one of our top 2 lines. If Gainey is going to move one of his undersized scoring centers you can be assured that it will be Ribeiro and not Koivu who will be moved. Koivu is the type of warrior and leader that Gainey loves whereas Ribeiro is the type of pansy that Gainey can't stand. Koivu has shown tremendous loyalty, leadership and dedication to the Montreal Canadiens and these are characteristics that are valued by the current management team in Montreal as witmessed by their recent drafts. I beleive Gainey sees Koivu as part of a foundation in Montreal and views Ribeiro as more of an asset that will eventually be traded for another asset that better fits into the template that Gainey is using to build a championship team.