View Single Post
Old
03-29-2007, 08:23 PM
alkurtz

vCash: 500
Still don't see how this is possible. If you took out the benches and put in real seats it will actually decrease capacity as the seating on the benches was kind of scrunched together and seats take up more room.
As for canibalizing the second rink and putting seats in that end, I just don't see that happening.
Like with most suburban rinks, DIA is a busy place: youth games and clinics, high school games, small time college games, public skates. The arena was built so the people of Danbury could have a place to skate...the Trashers came later. Currently a really low (even lower than the UHL if you can believe it) minor league team, the Danbury Stars of the NEHL plays some games there. Have not gone to any of the games, because its not a real league..more like an organized pickup, beer league.
The UHL was (and is) real hockey: old-fashionned, hardcore, intense, competitive, lots of fights, with many guys who played major junior hockey, were in the ECHL or AHL and even the occasional player who briefly played in the NHL.
As much as I would love to see the Ranger AHL team in Danbury, I just can't picture it. I would love to be proven wrong. As with many Trasher fans, I feel wronged by the loss of the team after two exciting years. The Trashers played for the UHL championship last year (the Colonial Cup). Unfortunately, the owner of the team, the local trash company owner, has been arrested and in waiting trial for illegal activities connected to well, I guess Soprano like activities. He also illegally paid some players more than the UHL mandated cap, by giving them no show jobs in his company.
A shame, it was a fun two years. The Trashers kept me going during the lockout and even last year, with the Rangers back, I often went to see the Trashers rather than stay home and watch the Rangers on the tube.
Among the NHL players who played for Danbury: Brent Gretzky, Jeff Daw, Ryan Barnes, Stephen Peat, Mike Rupp, Blake Bellefieulle and a few others I can't recall.
Been reading the Trasher message boards, the local Danbury and Hartford papers daily, but all I get are rumors. Still think when all is said and done, the Pack stays in Hartford until a long term solution is developed.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote