Old
02-16-2004, 07:56 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

vCash: 500
Turco playing despite broken foot..

Read: Turco stands tall despite injury

Quote:
Fort Worth Star-Telegram Stars goalie Marty Turco has been playing with a broken left foot for the past few weeks, according to a report in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram Monday. Turco suffered the injury during a morning skate in Vancouver on January 19 when he was hit in the foot by a Philippe Boucher shot.

"It's not healed ... well, maybe it is," Turco told the Star-Telegram. "I don't know. It doesn't really matter. Yeah, it hurts. But it's not that bad."

With backup Ron Tugnutt struggling in goal and then getting injured, and the Stars having no other goalie in the system who has played in an NHL game, Turco has been carrying the load in the net for the Stars. He says he has no problem with that.

"Eventually it will get better, but when the focus is on, it's on," Turco told the Star-Telegram. "We're on a great roll, and I wanted to continue to be a part of it."

Turco has played 56 of the team's 58 games this season and has played in 31 straight games, including 30 starts

Since suffering the injury, he has started and completed all 11 games and posted a 7-2-2 record with a 2.63 goals-against average, a .906 save percentage and two shutouts.

His 3-0 shutout against the Blues on Jan. 23 "was the finest performance by a goalie this year," Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock said.

Even on a busted foot, Turco started in the NHL All-Star Game.
Pretty amazing, I knew Turco was a winner but this is unheard of. It also just goes on to show how low Tugnutt has fallen, seems to me he is that bad that they let Turco play regardless if he's healthy.

BTW, what is the record for most games played as well as most games started in a row?

EDIT: During this stretch, Turco gave up 24 goals in about 667 minutes (11 games). Shouldn't his GAA be 2.16?

Last edited by Ajacied: 02-16-2004 at 11:09 AM.