Thread: Why Jarvis?
View Single Post
Old
02-16-2004, 10:40 AM
PrairieHabber

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
That's not really a fair accessment. Modano was a first overall pick. Both Matvicuk and Hatcher were high picks also. Outside of being highly drafted stars who did Jarvis develop during all his years in Dallas? I'm talking late rounds picks like Michael Ryder, Markov, etc...
A couple of points:

First, being a higher draft pick never guarantees success. You need good coaching to help most players take it to the next level. Whether it's added motivation, defensive play or whatever, an 18 year never arrives NHL-ready.

Second, here are some mid to lower round picks that they developed:

-Jere Lehtinen - 4th round pick
-Roman Turek - 6th round pick
-Brad Lukowich - 4th round pick (by Isles but traded to Dal as 20 yr old)

No, there aren't any Michael Ryder's but most teams don't have many if any players on their rosters that they developed after selecting them lower than the 7th-8th round. My point is simply that Gainey and Jarvis (and later Hitchcock) built an excellent core of young players and added free agents where needed. They didn't start spending money on the free agent market until they drafted or traded for the core of their team.

My error regarding mentioning Zubov earlier. While the coaching staff didn't develop him, Gainey had the wisdom to trade for him as a 25 year old (from the Rangers).