View Single Post
Old
03-30-2007, 07:56 AM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilFF View Post
Hey guy, maybe someone can help me here.

My friends want to join a summer league, a C level league (Arena Pro) in Brampton (outside Toronto). We are 21 - 22 years of age, one of my friends is a skilled player, another just started playing last summer. I want to play as their goalie, but I don't want to get destroyed left and right. Maybe this is the best league, I don't know. What would be the best league to learn in? I haven't played much hockey in general, and never on ice but I want to learn.
Drop the goalie nonsense, you sound too normal & sane to be one.

Be a defenseman instead.

Learn to skate as well backwards as you do forwards. Work on speed & power in all directions. Master your crossovers, transitions & pivoting. Learn how to not screen your goalie and properly clear your crease. Learn that the boards are your best friends.

Because everyone now more than everyone wants to be a Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, Ovechkin, or even a Niedermayer or Pronger etc., there is a shortage of true defensive-defenseman. You will get plenty of ice time in open hockey/drop in hockey/shinny or whatever you want to call it.

You will be able to sell yourself and be in demand.

You will frustrate those cherry-picking punks in the Jagr sweaters with the mirrored Oakley visors who will try to burn you like toast, but you will stop, thwart, tie-up and make them look stupid. These puckhogs will try to get past you with each shift they take and you will return the favor and not let them get by you. You will frustrate them and anger them and force them to an early trip to the dressing room. All the ooh-ing & ah-ing from both benches will be reserved for making said person look silly.

Do this with calm composure, dignity & grace, and the chicks watching you will intrigued & fascinated by your efforts.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote