View Single Post
Old
02-16-2004, 12:48 PM
Teezax

vCash: 500
GDT: Sharks @ Flyers 8PM

Sharks-Flyers Preview
GAME: San Jose Sharks (27-15-11-5) at Philadelphia Flyers (31-12-11-5).

TIME: Monday, 8 p.m. EST.

If Sean Burke keeps this up, so may the Philadelphia Flyers.

Burke and the Flyers will try for their sixth straight win when they host the San Jose Sharks in a meeting of division leaders.

Burke stopped 25 shots to earn his 300th career win as the Flyers dumped the New York Rangers 6-2 on Saturday. Burke's recent play and Philadelphia's sweep of the home-and-home series, however, was overshadowed by the costly loss of the Flyers' two top centers.

In Thursday's win at Madison Square Garden, Jeremy Roenick and Keith Primeau both were injured. Roenick is considering retirement after suffering a broken jaw and concussion, while Primeau is day to day with a head injury.

Burke, meanwhile, has stopped 51 of 54 shots since being acquired from Phoenix on Tuesday. He became the 20th goalie to reach the 300-win milestone.

"Wins and losses is not really an individual stat," said Burke, who is in his 16th season. "I guess it means for me that I've been around quite a while and I've been fortunate enough to be able to win some games."

Patrick Sharp scored a pair of goals and Kim Johnsson had three assists for the Flyers, who have just one loss in their last 10 games (8-1-1). Sharp, who has played most of the season with the Philadelphia Phantoms of the AHL, was called up to replace Roenick.

"Its a good opportunity. I'll try and play as well as I can in the meantime," the 22-year-old center said. "There's a little bit of pressure, but it's not just me that needs to step up. It's a whole team effort and everyone needs to play a little bit harder."

With New Jersey winning Sunday, Philadelphia's lead in the Atlantic Division was shaved to seven points. The Flyers remain four in front of idle Toronto for first place in the Eastern Conference.

The Sharks, meanwhile, earned their first overtime victory in 17 games this season with a 2-1 win over Columbus on Saturday.

San Jose recorded a franchise-record 50 shots, when Marco Strum jammed a loose puck past goaltender Marc Denis with 16.1 seconds left in the extra session. Sturm's goal ended a four-game road losing skid for the Sharks, who hold a six-point lead over Dallas in the Pacific Division.

"We just tried to keep shooting the puck, keep it wide, put it on net and see what happens," said Brad Stuart, who scored a goal for the first time in 33 games. "Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. We were lucky enough to score in the final seconds of the game."

After Monday's game in Philadelphia, the Sharks conclude their six-game road trip with visits to Nashville and Chicago.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Shopuld be a tough game against another division leader, these guys will come out hungry as Dallas is gaining ground on them in the Pacific. Flyers have been playing focused hockey despite crucial injuries and will come out again tonight with the 2 points.

Flyers 3 (Sharp, Amonte, Recchi)
San Jose 2 (Marleau, Sturm)