Old
03-31-2007, 02:15 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I don't think Olver got potential to challenge thoose guys. His overall skill-level aren't outstanding, he got some decent aspects, but nothing great. He is really thin too. He would really have to start manufacturing a ton of goals and assist to put him ahead of the rest at this point.

At this point I would put Olver behind Genoway for example, and Colby didn't even get a contract...

Olver aren't a player I mind having in HFD though, his smarts and playmaking can potentially contribute allot to that team. Look at Korpedo for example, they got nobody who really can feed the puck to a player like him and he have to do it all by himself. On the ice with Olver last night though, I think Darin opened up some ice for Korpedo in a way that nobody have been able to do in HFD before.

But, I think its a stretch to expect him to make it to the NHL. A player with his statue really have to stand out in the AHL to make it to the NHL, and I think Olver is pretty far from that level.
I completely disagree on almost everything you said about Olver. I watched him a number of times play in college and he is definitely a player to keep an eye on. He's got LOADS of potential.

He needs to put on some muscle, but he's one of the smartest players you'll see on the ice. He reads the play better than nearly anyone in our entire organization. Small guy but he can skate with the big guys and take a hit when needed. He'll never be a disher, but he certainly isn't a wimp.

And you think he might not even get a contract? We took him at 36 in the draft. He'll get a contract. No way he won't, as he was nearly a 1st round pick.

If he played at a school with any real decent players, we'd be talking about him in our top 10 prospects.

He went under the radar his entire collegiate career.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote