04-03-2007, 01:57 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
on my second line with Iginla

C Joe Nieuwendyk

The year before he led the Stars to the Stanley Cup he got injured at the start of the playoffs and it seemed that everybody who followed the team closely JUST KNEW it wasn't going to be the Stars' year. Joe was the backbone of that Stars team and as someone who watched them intensely I have to say I'm almost at a loss of words to describe how exactly. He eclipsed Modano and Hull in the intangibles. He wasn't a flashy or emotional leader. He led by example with the heart of a lion, playing through traffic, dangerous anywhere near the net, never giving up on a play, smart as hell, with a playmaker's ability to decide in a microsecond whether to shoot or pass or tip in. His eye-hand coordination was superior, he says developed during his lacrosse days. I didn't notice him much during his early years in Calgary because in my Canucks/Oilers books he was just another friggin' Flame to boo. Wish I had seen the young version, because the older one was champion material, and the MVP of the Stars for years, and no one should have been surprised when he most deservedly won the Conn Smythe in Dallas' cup year.