Thread: Confirmed with Link: Olli Jokinen 1yr 2.5M
View Single Post
Old
07-02-2014, 05:18 PM
dknash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
What moves are those, exactly? I don't want this to become the UFA thread all over again, but the top guys we not available for us to sign. Stastny went home, Vanek went home, and Moulson went back to his old team. We can't offer them the same thing. Poile almost had Spezza, but he wouldn't come here. He inquired on Kesler, who wouldn't come here. He brought in one of the best shooters in the NHL, addressing our biggest need. The off-season is far from over, with guys like Vrbata still in UFA.

Please, tell me what more he could have done. I am disappointed to, but it's not like Poile didn't try. He went out today and got us some secondary scoring at a low-to-no risk price. Awesome. It's not Stastny, but it's the best he could do.

What moves would you have made, in Poile's shoes?
I don't mind the Jokinen signing on its own (although I don't really follow the NHL outside of Nashville, so there could be obvious red flags and I wouldn't know). Sum total to date, not good enough. Ergo, complaints. Are there valid excuses? To an extent.

One that I do not hold as valid is players who won't waive their NTCs, because by Poile's admission, he makes no attempt to persuade them to change their mind because... why exactly? I mean, they're professionals and would have theoretically moved of their own accord. Not sure why they'd be any less on board than a guy like... oh, say, Neal, who had zero say in the move, and who I can't imagine is doing anything other than putting on a brave face right now.

The approach smacks of entitlement based upon... what, exactly? Can't say I consider that a good faith effort, whatever the reasoning may be.

dknash is offline   Reply With Quote