02-17-2004, 07:45 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerwise
Who'd be buying then?
Alot of these guys have long big money contracts, (if only there were two NYR, then you'd have a buyer). Seriously, I think there is great talent on the NYR, but look at their contracts, their age, their health, etc....
Lets look at the usual buyers: If TOR offered a 1st and 2nd for Lindros, the NYR might take it, but Lindros isn't healthy. If PHI wanted a Kovalev (an RFA looking to cash in, I think) or Leetch a good #1 dman who isn't strong in the defense department (and has like what 1-2 yrs left), possibly a mid level prospect and a 1st and a Vandemeer or Seidenberg?
The price isn't worth it, is my point.
If the NYR even wanted to sell, what could they? And who would want it?
Sather made alot of rationalizing and put up with public humiliation to acquire this team of "stars" and would get lynched if he started to give them away on the cheap.
With the exception of Leetch, Poti, Jagr, de Vries, Holik, Dunham, Markkanen, and Kasparaitis, every Ranger's contract expires at the end of the season. So long big money is not exactly true. So, if it is February and contracts expire at the end of the season, what is the real big money we are talking about here?

And you greatly underrate Leetch which leads me to believe that you really don't watch the Rangers very ofen.