View Single Post
Old
04-04-2007, 03:06 PM
chosen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I guess the question would be do you think he played well defensively last night.

There have been many nights where Malik was this team's worst defenseman yet comes up a plus. When you're out there with Jagr mostly, and with Lundqvist behind you that's going to happen often. I mean, Lundqvist is going to make 30 saves per game - many of them quality saves - so just because the minus didn't happen doesn't mean Malik didn't turnover the puck with a pass up the middle in the defensive zone that resulted in a quality scoring chance against.
Statistically it is possible for your hypothesis that Malik is no good to be correct short term. It is far less likely over 80 or so games. Next to impossible over a career. He is +128 for his career. You just can't be terrible and be +128. Can't be.

The excuse that Jagr is responsible for this is nonsense. He spent the bulk of his career without the support of Jagr.

For whatever reason, the glaring defensive errors that lead to goals tend not to happen to Malik. Why? I'm not sure. But a quick look through Malik's career show this to be an established pattern. His plus/minus record over his career is proof of this. We are not talking about a statistical aberration here. We are talking about a definitive pattern over a long span of time.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote