View Single Post
Old
07-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
1875 newspaper reports clearly mention spectators and entertainment. Thes two aspects are not in any doubt. Donald Guay does not exclude them so they are under consideration.
I never said their presence was in doubt, I said that Guay does not once mention them in his discussion of sport, which was supposedly arrived at empirically, and which you bristled at my questioning because it was arrived at by some consensus. I think the entertainment of spectators may be a valid part of the distinction, but I was pointing out that Guay did not think so.

Quote:
Stake(s) also includes spectators and the competition for their attention - entertainment dollars, Guay's point three on page 18, either under the money or etc heading.
Guay clearly intends to include amateur hockey in his definition of sport, so there was no monetary reward involved. I think Guay would also bristle at your suggestion that the noble amateur athletes would be playing to get attention; that's would not be sporting in his book I don't think, and thus by his definition would not be sport. To be sporting the players must be trying to win honourably against an opponent of equal quality; not seeking fame from the masses. But to be fair, he does contradict himself a bit when he includes glory as a possible stake, so again it's hard to know what he means.

Quote:
How is Professional Poker not a sport? Even omitting my addition of intellectual considerations upthread you still have the physical aspects required to sustain the endurance of long competition while maintaining mental focus.
Sorry, your phrasing is unclear here, so I will ask you to clarify: are you saying that professional poker is a sport by Guay's standards?

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote