View Single Post
Old
07-04-2014, 05:37 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Unless someone is playing solo in a complete vacuum, attention cannot be avoided as long as other people are present. So while playing honourably the athlete is getting attention from those that witness the honourable play. Doubt that Donald Guay would have any issues with this form of activity.
Ah, so once again we see that the attention cannot be a distinguishing factor. An athlete playing a game will also get positive attention for playing the game well. So once again, we're no clearer on what a sport is.

Quote:
Yes Professional Poker would be a sport since it meets Guay's criteria. Likewise Chess with human competitiors be it Spassky v Fisher or other chess competition where not only mental but physical endurance is tested.
Personally I doubt that this is what Guay meant by physical activity, because any board game requiring any sort of concentration would be made a sport. Play a marathon session of Monopoly or Risk? Those games can take a long time, testing your endurance, and require focus (especially Risk). So are these sports as well, so long as the participants value winning and don't cheat?

I find Guay's definition to be far too broad already, because many games fall under its umbrella, and you're broadening it even more now to include competitive card games. You're making the issue worse. If Guay's criteria are intended of a sport were intended to include something like professional poker as a sport, then that's even more reason to reject them.

Quote:
Isn't March 3, 1875 what your bolded describes.
Yes, I'm inclined to agree. Indeed, I'm not convinced that this first match, which Guay puts forward as the first example of the sport of ice hockey according to his criteria, actually fulfills all of his criteria.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote