View Single Post
Old
07-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Suggest looking at the training regime of some of the grandmasters. In any sport the physicality exerted during the event tends to be far less than in the training leading to the event.
(I) Suggest reading's Guay's discussion in the book. It seems to me there's a pretty clear differentiation in the execution of the action being meaningful. In chess or poker, technically there are movements involved, but the manner in which you execute them has no bearing on the result. In those activities, the decision of what to do makes the difference; actually physically doing it is trivial. In a sport like hockey, both the decision and the execution are extremely important. You can't simply declare where you want the puck to do; you have to get it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Consider viewing the sport / game distinction proposed by Donald Guay as similar to the consensus or objective distinction of the traditional definition of numerals(0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) / numbers in mathematics. Acknowledgement and the appreciation of each does not detract or conflict, rather the distinction enhances each.
Sorry, 0 and 1 are objectively defined, while Guay's criteria are largely subjective, and do not serve in their proposed form to actually make a distinction. Activities can meet all of Guay's criteria and still be considered games by common standards, and activities can fail to meet one or more of the criteria and still be sports. This is why I say that Guay may be defining "something", but it's not sports vs. games.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote