View Single Post
Old
02-17-2004, 02:33 PM
punchy1

vCash: 500
In the other simmilar thread on the topic (now gone) I said that I feel us to have 86 to 89 points by the end of the season. In the last 21 we have won 5 games,(regulation) 1 in OT, had 9 ties and 3 OTL's that gave us points. We have earned an astonishing 22 points (truly a grand effort all things considered) and are in 6th place with 65 points and 23 games remaining. We are due to get back Straka at some point as well as Lubo, Brown, Barney and possibly Miller. Adding those lads will certainly give us a better shot at things but, since we have been told off and on that we will be getting players back from injury all season that haven't come back, I will reckon that we might not see all of them in time to make the playoffs.

Either way I still see us playing the same manner and believe we will still be in a better position to earn another 22 points then much more. We have been playing very well and I don't think that will stop but I also don't see them lads coming back as being enough to make us go on a majour winning streak (winning games, not tying them).

With Straka and Lubo in the line up (MS last game were on 1-10) the ten games prior to his going down to injury we were 0-3-6-1 for 7 points. Before that stretch it looks the same. My point is that I feel that we will go on playing in a simmilar fashion and that we will earn about half of the available points giving us another 22 (or so) points for 88(ish) total. I don't know if that is enough to land a playoff spot or not. It might be.

What I do wonder is this, with all of our ties, lets say that we did earn enough points to make the playoffs, would we be in any position to do any damage? Without that killer instinctive ability to win games I can't see us taking another team with more skill and points out of the playoffs. I see us as a safe, wait for the other team to make a mistake and try and take advantage of them to steal a win kind of team.

We have won 7 of our last 30 games. It is truly a grand statement at how solid our depth players are and how great our overall depth is that we have stayed in the hunt with our injuries. We are missing Ziggy/Allison/Deader/Straka and the thing they all have in common is that they are closers. They score big goals. Getting Straka back will give us another player who does that well and can make the difference but it will have to be different then it were prior to his going down.

If we end with 88 points and make the playoffs, I have to wonder if we have the kind of team that can steal a series or two and make a real run. I believe we are as a fan but question it when i am laying in my bed.